Saturday, November 10, 2012

My shortest post

Teaching is NOT just a job.
Teaching is NOT just another job.
Teaching is not JUST a job.
Teaching is not JUST ANOTHER job.

The spousal unit thinks it is just a job or the same as any other job; it is not.  Most jobs would not expect and entrust me with teaching people how to read, write and think critically.

Teaching has been the most important thing in my life along with my family.

Emptying my room was like throwing my life away and he thought that day was fun because Dora came and they were laughing and joking around while I was crying and my student Michael did a lot of the work and was worried about me.
Michael's were the kindest words that day, "Are you going to be okay, Ms. Peters?  I know this is unimaginably difficult for you."

I was not really okay that day and he knew that; I am not really okay yet with not teaching and I am not sure I ever will be.

The spousal unit will continue to lack comprehension and compassion on the subject-despite his many virtues and despite all the physical help he gives me and all the extra work he has taken on around the house since I have become disabled. He is a good man but he doesn't get it.

1 comment:

  1. I can't seem to get on my blog anymore but I do want people to know that I have not taught since June 2010 and I find myself down and dreaming, literally and figuratively, daily and nightly about being back in my classroom with my students. I miss it so.

    ReplyDelete