Friday, September 28, 2012

My Introduction to Holy Cross with a thank you to Frankie Nocito and Cathy Younglove

Father Dubell hired me in August of 1986 to teach English at Holy Cross. I went in one day to get books for my English  2 and English 4 classes, and as I was leaving I met my first two ever Holy Cross students.  They were members of SCEB  (for those not in the know the Student Council Executive Board); they were a boy and a girl, very friendly. Even though I didn't remember  their names that day,  I do remember the boy telling me they were seniors and "I hope I get you." He didn't know me more than my name and it was just so very kind.

It turns out that I did get them both and they were Frankie Nocito and Cathy Younglove.  They  were a great introduction to the kindness and friendliness of the Holy Cross student body.

My first week at HC I told Carl that I had the student council president and that the president wore a pound puppy watch daily.

Carl said, "They would be crucified in my public school. Don't kids make fun of her?"

 I said that they never made fun of HIM.  Frankie Nocito was loved by his class,the faculty and the entire school  Somehow that pound puppy watch summed him up and it summed up the friendliness, the charm, and the fun of Holy Cross.

During the summer of 1987 I found out I was pregnant and told Sister Mary.

A couple of weeks later, I got in the mail a congrats your pregnant card from my two former students, Frankie and Cathy.

Thanks for making my first year a great and memorable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment