Friday, September 21, 2012

World Champion Fencer


Around 1995 Pat Horan started the rumor that I was an expert world championship fencer. He convinced multiple students initially of this somehow. Then he came to me and said, "Let's see how long we can keep this going." It was January. We then enlisted a few other teachers to assist: Kathy Waters, Peter Graham, Ron Maniglia. Kids would ask and I would say, "I can't talk about my fencing right n
ow, I have to teach." Other teachers were telling them that I beat Peter and Peter was agreeing with that and saying he didn't like it. Finally I said I would reveal all on the last day of senior class. The room was packed. Little 103 B was wall to wall, kids were in from other classes, there had to be about 60 kids in there when I told them they had been had, that it was all a practical joke. As they were leaving, I heard a few say things like, "She is just too modest to show us." The rumor continued to resurface every few years and even someone in the class of 2010 confessed to having heard it. I salute Pat Horan for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment