Friday, September 28, 2012

We love Carl Stories...part 1 of many

Sometimes  I managed to work Carl into my stories and examples.  Over the years students--and sometimes parents--had their favorite ones.  Sometimes parents would come up and say, "My daughter wants you to tell me the story about your husband." I would  then have to try to figure out which one.  This could be hard and there  are so many that he became a legend.

This one is dedicated to Michael Fynan, Jr. and the other George Lucas fans.

We are out at the movies in 1998 and there is a poster without a movie title (or maybe it had the title ; whether it did or not makes no difference for either Carl or me).  It  had a small child in a desert enviroment; there was a cliff and against that a shadow.  I asked him what he thought of the poster.  Eternity could end while I wait for an answer. He thought it interesting, rather intriguing."Yes, but what is it for?" I asked.

He studied it for a long time and finally said, "I have no idea."





I suggested he look at the shadow more closely.

He does.  Meanwhile I think about filing social security forms for retirement.

Again, "I just don't get it."

Finally from me, "It is Darth Vader's shadow, do you have any cultural references? It is for the prequel to Star Wars."

"Oh, now I get it."



No comments:

Post a Comment